Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Infrared Heaters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Infrared Heaters

    anyone have an opinion on them? dad got us one because they are suppose to be great but this one doesn't do much at all. It ran all night and the house is still only 45 degrees this morning in the living room. do I just have a bad one or are they way over priced and over-rated?
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Infrared Heaters

    I don't think they are made to be your only heat source. I think they are made to supplement your heat pump, especially on real cold nights where otherwise the Aux Heat would be on all night.

    I have one and I keep the Infrared heater thermostat on about 75 and my heat pump thermostat on about 68 and my heat pump doesn't cut on until it gets down to about 25 degrees outside and the Aux Heat rarely ever comes on anymore. My power bill for last month was around $90 where most everybody else I talked to was at least $200.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Infrared Heaters

    Read a consumer reports piece on those, it wasn't all that grand. Most of it focused on the misleading notion that it will heat your whole house with little effort. Even if it could it would cost you a small fortune, an arm, leg, and probably your firstborn child.

    You can use it to sucessfully heat one closed off room with no other heat source, but if you have a heat pump you can already do that by closing the vents in rooms you dont use.

    We have one that we use in the living room, but only when we're in the living room and awake. Otherwise it's unplugged. I'm a complete pyrophobe, and space heaters make me nervous. At nights I leave the interior doors open in the house so the heat circulates properly from the heat pump (and sometimes wear an extra layer of clothes lol). Circulation makes a huge difference for proper heating if you have a heat pump.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •